Thus says the Lord, “Consider your ways!” Haggai 1:7 NKJV
Proverbs 14:12 tells us there is a path that seems right to us but it really leads to death. When we only look at things from our human standpoint we are doing the very thing proverbs warns us about.
Our ways are not the Lord’s way, no matter how good they appear in our eyes (Isaiah 55:8-9). The Lord’s ways are much higher, more pure, more truthful, and always right. Our ways are but filthy rags when standing before Almighty God.
So what is so wrong about our way anyway? Using Jesus’ teaching from Matthew 5 – 7, here’s a list of some of the ways we go wrong.
Jesus said whoever hears these sayings of Mine and does them, he is a wise man. No matter what comes against him, he will not fall because of his foundation on the Rock.
So looking at the list above, are there any that stand out or resonate with you? Ask God to help you overcome these and align yourself with His ways instead.
Consider our way means to validate our ways against God’s Word. Let’s examine six things Scripture tells us about living God’s way.
- Romans 3:23 says all have sinned. No one is immune, no matter how “good” they appear. Everyone is a sinner. We must recognize this about our self.
- Romans 6:23 says the wages of sin is death but the gift of God is eternal life in Jesus. Though sin must be dealt with, God sent Jesus to take on our sin, so we don’t have to die. God took care of the sin problem for us, without ever asking if we wanted the help!
- Matthew 7:21-23 tells us that doing religious things won’t save us. Only a relationship with Jesus can! Just knowing about Him won’t cut it. We must have a relationship with Him to be saved.
- Proverbs 3:5-6 says lean not on our own understanding but acknowledge Him in all our ways. Give proper reverence to God who saved us.
- Galatians 5:16 tells us to walk by the Spirit and we won’t fulfill the lust of our flesh. God’s Spirit was given the moment we believed. He helps us live right.
- Matthew 22:37-40 says to pursue love because it fulfills all the law. God is love. Pursue God through Jesus all the law and the commandments are complete in Him.
We live, breathe, and have our being in Christ. If we stray away from Christ we sin. We must cling to Jesus, the Author and Perfector of our faith.
Lord God and Father of Jesus Christ, we thank you for loving us enough to take on the sin problem and dying in our place. Thank you for your Spirit to guide us in your truth. May we continue to recognize we are only dust without Jesus. In your precious name we pray, Jesus. Amen.
© ThinkOnIt Bible Ministries Inc is a 501(c) (3) Public Charity helping you grow in knowledge and understanding of God’s Word.