The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life, to turn one away from the snares of death. Proverbs 14:27 NKJV
Did you know the original language of the major part of the Bible is Hebrew? Did you know using a concordance can help you discover the original meaning of the root Hebrew word?
For example, I looked up the word fear and life and found some interesting definitions.
The Hebrew word for fear is “yira” meaning morally reverence – dreadful, exceedingly, fear, or fearfulness. The word reverence means honor or respect felt or shown: deference or profound adoring awed respect. The word deference means respect or esteem due a superior or an elder.
The Hebrew word for life is “hay”. It means alive, raw, fresh, strong, life literally or figuratively, age, appetite, living, maintenance, merry, multitude, be old, quick, running, springing, troop. Looking up the word life in the English dictionary, I find the word has twenty different definitions. No wonder we get confused. We use the same word for so many different meanings!
Armed with these additional definitions, let’s review the verse again. The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life, to turn one away from the snares of death.
Something struck me as I reached the word life. It didn’t read just life, but it read a fountain of life. What comes to mind when we think of a fountain?
- A fountain flows. It does not stop. It is constantly flowing and always moving.
- Flowing fountain makes a lovely, calming, and peaceful sound. That’s why many of us have fountains in our yards, or even miniature ones on our office desks!
- A fountain can quench a thirst, if a passerby accepts a drink from it.
- A fountain can be pleasant to look at, depending on the shape, the way the water trickles our and down the sides of it.
The description of the fountain above represents your life. That is a life that honors God, Our Maker.
- Is your life constantly moving?
- Does your life make a lovely, calming, and peaceful sound?
- Is your life able to quench a thirst of others?
- Is your life pleasant to look at?
If you answered no to one or more of these questions, step back and look up to God Almighty, our Maker, our Lord, our Savior. Ask Him to help you properly fear Him, so your life may become a fountain of life to turn you away from the snares of death.
Lord, thank you for wanting us to know and proper revere you. Thank you that when we do it brings glory to you and refreshment to others. In Jesus’ name we pray Amen.
© ThinkOnIt Bible Ministries Inc is a 501(c) (3) Public Charity helping you grow in knowledge and understanding of God’s Word. Visit us at http://www.ThinkOnIt.org today.